Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
At Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center, we have been closely monitoring the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), as well as county and municipal health agencies for recommendations regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19), and have been developing plans for the prevention of Coronavirus transmission within our surgery center. With the recent WHO classification of the Coronavirus outbreak as a pandemic, we want our patients to have access to as much information as possible. Preliminary research indicates the virus is transmitted through sneezes, coughs, and contaminated surfaces. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath and can last 14 days after exposure.
With this in mind, we ask patients who are sick and/or have a fever, cough, and shortness of breath contact their primary care provider immediately. If you have any of these symptoms, please contact our staff at the surgery center immediately. There is a possibility that your surgery may need to be rescheduled.
What can we do to protect ourselves and others? You can follow these practices to reduce chances of contracting and/or spreading the virus:
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing;
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
If you would like additional information, you can learn more about the coronavirus and how to prevent the spread of disease on the CDC’s website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html . The CDC is the best source of information and is the US authority on this outbreak.
At Illinois Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery Center, patient safety and patient care is our central focus. We appreciate your patience and understanding.